Data grid between Payara Full editions

Hi,

I was able successfully replayed this demo on GCP How to Create a Domain Data Grid and Use With a Load Balancer, but I can’t find a useful info how to join Payara Full Edition to Data Grid. Can anybody point me to the right Payara Full Edth configuration? Thanks

Hi,

For the Payara Server, please visit the Domain Data Grid Concept. There are the sub-contents as the following: -

Payara Micro Interoperability

The Domain Data Grid is designed to be interoperable with Payara Micro and Payara Micro instances can join the Data Grid and store data. Payara Micro has a specific cluster mode which can be enabled to join a Domain Data Grid.

Furthermore, for the Payara Micro, please visit the Clustering which also has the sub-contents as the following: -

Hi,

sorry, but this is not an answer to list documentation that I already read… I’m trying to concretize my question: how to add Payara Server Full to existing Data Grid? If it is not possible then - how can I scale my Java EE application?

Hi,

AFAIK, it depends on the Discovery Mode. If we choose the Domain Discovery Mode, TCPIP Discovery Mode and DNS Discovery Mode, when we have a new Payara instances we may have two steps as configuring the new instance to know the existing instances and tell every existing instances to know the new one. For TCPIP Discovery Mode example, by using the asadmin> set-hazelcast-configuration --clustermode tcpip --tcpipmembers 192.168.0.104:4900,192.168.0.105:5900

Anyhow if we would like some kind of automatic joining / unjoining we may choose the Multicast Discovery Mode. Note: If we are on Kubernetes, Payara also provides the Kubernetes Discovery Mode as well.

Furthermore there is a Payara at YouTube as Payara - YouTube . They provide many useful videos, including with the demonstration about the Multicast Discovery Mode within Docker as the following as well.

Since I’m new to Data Grid I’m not sure it should be like that or it’s a bug, but on GCP I was able to join multiple Payara Servers (v5.2021.7) to same Data Grid only using DNS discovery mode. Any other combination of discovery modes on both servers like Domain <-> Domain, Domain <-> Multicast or Multicast <->Multicast didn’t work for me…

I am not familiar with GCP. Anyhow I found that the Google Cloud: VPC network overview mentions as the following: -

VPC networks do not support broadcast or multicast addresses within the network.

This may mean that we may not achieve the automatic joining / unjoining with Multicast Discovery Mode and may have only two choices as TCPIP Discovery Mode and DNS Discovery Mode. We have to add/remove the members via asadmin manually or create a customized scripts to execute that asadmin command so that it is a DRY.

Note: Regarding to my previous reply about the Domain Discovery Mode, I may be wrong. The Domain Discovery Mode may use the multicast as well ?

Moreover, the Hazelcast: Discovery Mechanisms: GCP Cloud Discovery also mentions as the following: -

Hazelcast supports discovering members in the GCP Compute Engine environment. You can easily configure Hazelcast members discovery, WAN replication, and Hazelcast Client to work seamlessly on the native GCP VM Instances. This discovery feature is provided as a Hazelcast plugin. See the Cloud Discovery Plugins: Hazelcast GCP section.

While the Cloud Discovery Plugins: Hazelcast GCP section mentions as the following:-

Hazelcast provides support for Google Compute Engine, covering the following environments:

In both scenarios you can use the ZONE_AWARE feature to create partition backups in other Availability Zones (AZ) and therefore prevent any data loss in case of AZ failures.

You can easily configure your Hazelcast member/client to use GCP discovery by having the hazelcast-all (or hazelcast-gcp ) JAR on your classpath and enabling GCP in your Hazelcast configuration.

See the Hazelcast GCP Plugin documentation for more details.

Then we may take our life to the risk by using trial and error by providing the Hazelcast GCP to the Payara classpath, configuring the hazelcast.config to use that plugin manually and last but not least, letting the Payara to use that configuration file by following the Configuring the Domain Data Grid underlying Hazelcast

Thanks, @charlee_ch , for your effort - it seems that I took a wrong IaaS provider to make my first test with Data Grid which now I understand is really simple